Built in 1926, the Plaza Methodist Church is one of the newest buildings on the main plaza of El Pueblo de Los Angeles. But its Spanish Colonial Revival architecture fits the plaza’s historical theme. The carved arch over the door reflects the Churrigueresque style popular in 17th century Spain and Mexico.
The church is on the site where Agustín Olvera once lived. Originally a Mexican government official, he negotiated a peace treaty with the United States. After California became American territory in 1848, Olvera became the first judge in the new Los Angeles County. The Los Angeles City Council renamed the adjacent Wine Street for him in 1877. Olvera Street became the “Mexican marketplace” tourist attraction in 1930.