The west gate to Chinatown on Hill Street in Downtown Los Angeles is one of the district’s four pailou gates. Built in 1938, the gate’s structure includes camphor wood specially imported from China. Near the center of the right supporting post is a plaque commemorating the Chinese immigrants who built the transcontinental railroad in the nineteenth century.
Chinese Consul T. K. Chang composed the four-character epigram on the pailou. It means “cooperate to achieve,” a reference to the community effort that planned and built Chinatown.