In the early days of Hollywood movie production, actors who weren’t big enough stars to build mansions in the hills had difficulty finding a place to live. Landlords, perhaps understandably, considered them unreliable and financially risky and refused to rent to them. Two studio founders sought to remedy this problem by building the Hillview Apartments specifically for actors. It opened in 1917.
Completely restored in 2005 after decades of neglect and decay, its new owner renamed it the Hudson Apartments. This picture also shows the new signs (and “movie lights”) installed in front of historic buildings as part of Hollywood Boulevard’s redevelopment.