“Earl’s Service,” a complete replica of a Gilmore Oil gas station, circa 1936, at the Los Angeles Farmers Market. In its heyday, the Gilmore Oil Company franchised 3,500 independent gas stations. The company that became Mobil (now ExxonMobil) bought a controlling interest in Gilmore Oil in 1940. By 1945 all the Gilmore stations had been converted to the Mobil brand.
This station is named for Earl Bell Gilmore, who built his father’s oil business into the largest oil distributor in the western United States. The original “Farmers Public Market” began on a vacant section of Gilmore’s land in 1934.